Layers of Pattern

Image - Anna Spiro Guest Bedroom @ Ormiston House

Image - Elle Decoration - Liza Giles' Home via This is Glamorous

Image - XT Decor Mag

Image - Chris Chen Photographer via Desire to Inspire


Pattern layering in some people's opinion is over-the-top. I on the other hand feel that with a good eye mixing patterns is both a fun and exciting way to add personality to your home. If you have a set colour palette you are working with my advice is to select patterns within those colours therefore creating a central theme to work around. There really are no rules and the look is one of mismatch and nonconformity. A question often asked by my clients about pattern and mixing patterns is - "Is this going to date?" My answer is always "It only dates if you let date ie. let the look evolve over time by adding new bits to compliment old bits." One way to be able to have this look without worrying about the expense of recovering sofas and chairs once you tire of the look is to select a simple base like a plain for your upholstery and then add the patterns into the cushions, throws and accessories. This allows you to add and take away cushions/pieces when you feel like it. I have posted some of my favourite images above which display pattern layering. The top image is the guest bedroom in my old house which I decorated with pattern on pattern. The patterned quilt is a Douglas & Hope creation which I will treasure forever! I challenge you to be excited about pattern mixing. Be confident in your selections and don't worry if it doesn't match - that's the look!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment